Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Kylie says her first prayer!

Tonight, as we were about to say family prayer, I asked Jon, "Do you want me to say it?" and then Kylie says, "I say it." I thought, okay, this is good but she probably won't say it. I said a few words and waited a few seconds...then Kylie repeated the last few words of what I said! I was so excited I couldn't think. Jon laughed at me afterwards because I acted like I'd never said a prayer before. I felt so good inside when we finished. I was so proud of Kylie. So if you ever wonder if they are listening and watching ...they are. We love to hold hands in a circle as we say our family prayer. Once we did this, Kylie seemed a little more willing to sit down and be apart of family prayer. What works for your families? What about FHE?

3 comments:

Desirae said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Desirae said...

We started ordering The Friend magazine. For FHE, we read a story and talk about what it's teaching. The stories are short, so they work for short attention spans. Some of the stories have a little activity to go with them (coloring, a maze, a dessert to make, etc). It's worked well so far. What Bethany really likes about FHE is sitting around the piano singing the opening and closing songs. We usually do fun songs like Popcorn Popping and Daddy's Homecoming with actions, but we also do other "normal" songs like Heavenly Father Loves Me and A Child's Prayer. There are some coloring pages on LDS.org in The Friend area that you can print out so she can color them.

Lynse said...

We've been doing thing for FHE lately that the kids really need to work on. Keeper taught the lesson this week on Reverence and every time they heard the word Reverence they were supposed to say "Shhhhhh". It was amazing how well they listened. They thought it was awesome and have done it off and on throughout the week.
As for family prayer and scripture study, a routine has worked best for us. They know what to expect, when, and we don't catch them off guard.
Good luck! You are a great mom! Kylie is such a cutie!