Monday, March 29, 2010

Seabrook Half-Marathon


I got this photo off the Race Shots website and do not own the photo.
It was cool that they took pictures.

Summer, Me, and Julie

Me and Bryce (my training buddy)
He finished 77th overall and I finished 44th overall

I got this photo off the Race Shots website and do not own the photo.
It looks like I'm closing my eyes. No, I'm just really focused!!

Hello everyone who reads my blog. I am happy to add a new post one time a month. Thanks for reading. Anyway, I recently completed a half-marathon with Summer and Julie (two friends from church) and my Uncle Bryce (my Mom's brother). I wanted to do better, even though I did pretty good. I placed first in my age group (20-29) out of sixty women and sixth overall for females. Now before you get to excited, the course was mostly flat and their were about 600 runners total. I finished in 1:48.something. That is one hour, forty-eight minutes and like thirteen seconds. I was shooting for a 1:40-1:42. I know I can get that. I will just stick to my plan next time and run my race. I am really excited about finishing first in my age group by a little more than 3 minutes. It was a huge confidence booster for me. I thought to myself, "Hey, your pretty good." I need to give myself more credit and not be so hard on myself. I think we can all do a little better in this area. Ardeth G. Kapp wrote a book called "Better Than You Think You Are." I have read this partly through and have realized I am really hard on myself. I should find confidence in knowing I am a daughter of a Heavenly Father who wants me to do well and achieve my goals. I know with his help, a little more confidence, and my families support, I will be great. We can all be great if we stand a little taller and say to ourselves, "I'm better than I think I am."

7 comments:

Amber said...

Way to go!

Kristen said...

I think you are supa dupa awesome and an inspiring athlete. Great job, Jess! Wish I could still run with you. :)

mellabie said...

YOu are sooooo awesome Jay!!!!!!! After I have this baby I am so going to run a half. Thanks you for being you and being so motivating to me!

Karen "C" said...

Congratulations you awesome runner! You are truly a "JJ". I wish I could be there to watch. It is fun to see you & Bryce doing this together.Love, Gram

jenny said...

That is so awesome Jessica! So crazy I stumbled on your blog from one of my YW from New Orleans. I just recently got into running about a year ago and have done a few halfs as well. Congrats on such a great time. Email me and I will send you an evite to my blog. jennyclouse@ymail.com

Chatland Family said...

Yes...be kinds to yourself. Aunt Kim :)

Tiff and Chris said...

Your pretty much the coolest sister ever (don't tell Amy or Mandy) :) I love that you didn't put your name on the tag, but "Kylie's Mom" Genius you are...ad pretty ripped too!