Monday, October 25, 2010

Wildhorse 5K and upcoming Marathon

This past weekend, my neighborhood hosted a 5k. I decided to run it with some friends and have fun. My mom came and watched me run which is always so nice. The course ended up being about 3.5 miles instead of 3.1. That's almost a half mile extra which makes a big difference in any race. My friend Aubrey and I ran together. This was our first run together so I was excited. We stuck together the first mile and then we hit a big hill. Aubrey past me up but I kept on pushing and stuck about 10 feet behind her for the next mile. This brings us to about mile 2. I told her we had just 1 mile to go. She probably hates me for saying that because it turns out we had 1.5 miles left to go. I could see the leader of the pack, Mr Ben Manchester, and wanted to stick with him and hopefully catch him at the end. I looked at my watch and decided we should have been done by now so I shouldn't charge ahead because I don't know how much further we had to go. I turned the corner and about 20 feet ahead was the finish line and Ben had already finished before I had the chance to catch him. He's one lucky duck! I finished about 15 seconds behind him. I was really proud of myself. I finished the 3.5 miles in 23 minutes which translates into a 20:24 for the 5k with a 6:34 min pace. I haven't run that fast for a 5k in a long time. I kept redoing the math and just couldn't believe it. I'm training for a full marathon which is 26.2 miles on December 5th in Dallas. While training for this marathon, I have PR'd (personal record) in a half marathon. I ran about 13 miles in 1 hour 47 minutes. That beat my previous race time by about a minute. I've felt really good about my training and hope I can keep it up. I ran 10 today at about the same pace as the half which was 8 min 12 seconds. I'm shooting for about a 3:40 finish time for the marathon and feel confident I can do that. I know that anything is possible when we put our faith and trust in the Lord. If it's important to us, it's important to him. Much love to all!

2 comments:

mellabie said...

Great Work! We are excited for ya'll to come in December for the marathon.

Jules said...

You are awesome!! Congrats on the PR! I know you'll do great in the upcoming marathon!